[LargeFormat] Neatsfoot Oil on Bellows?

Douglas Cooper largeformat@f32.net
Thu Feb 22 05:04:34 2001

I remember being told -- perhaps here? -- that Neatsfoot Oil was good for
keeping bellows supple (both leather and synthetic).  Now Ken Ruth (the
virtuoso camera repairman on Bald Mountain) tells me that this stuff is the
worst -- bacteria like it, which can erode glue etc.

I'm afraid I already doctored the synthetic bellows on my Super Graphic with
this oil (as well as the vulcanite on my Leica -- this too was suggested).
Any notes from the trenches?  Am I in for trouble?  Anything I can do to
remedy this?

By the way, he recommended high end plasticizer -- Black Magic and the like
-- which you can purchase at car supply places, for cleaning vinyl seats and
keeping them supple.  I'm just wondering if I've already done damage.

Douglas Cooper
http://www.dysmedia.com

NO ARCHIVE

(oh, another question:  *does* this stuff get archived?  and is this how I
can stay out of the archive?)