[LargeFormat] (t)here Magazine

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Thu Feb 15 05:36:01 2001

At 17:29 14/02/01 -0500, Douglas Cooper wrote:

>Thought I'd point you all to a meta-photographic project I've just had
>published in (t)here Magazine.  If you haven't yet seen (t)here, I highly
>recommend seeking it out -- beautiful production, and devoted mostly to
>conceptual work.  My project involves someone else's camera.  I took a
>digital recorder into Warren Neidich's studio, and recorded my impressions
>as he took light-painted photographs of my head.  The finished images are
>brilliant -- some look like a skull floating in space, with a brain stem
>hanging down -- and the text turned out okay.
>
>Warren's an interesting guy.  For a long time he staged pre-photographic
>historical scenes -- these were published by Aperture -- and now he's
>drifting towards subtle Photoshop manipulation, along the lines of Andreas
>Gursky.
>

>Douglas Cooper
>http://www.dysmedia.com

Douglas,

Haven't seen this particular magazine here in the UK - if you have more
details then I'll try to get hold of the copy you described - sounds
excellent.  Is the magazine available in the UK?

A quick aside on your web site - brilliant!   Happened to be at a friend's
place last night and she hardly ever "surfs" or looks at sites which are
not directly related to a particular requirement as she can't stand the
tedious navigation metaphors and turgid text on many sites.  Your site has
the honour of being bookmarked on her machine :-) We both enjoyed our visit
last night immensely :-)

The highlight for me was the site map ;-)

If keeping digital work alive requires a re-interpretation through the
medium of paint - what does that say about large format photography - if
anything......... I have been rephotographing digital work and in some
cases then scanning again and printing out on cartridge paper.  The
possibilities and permutations are infinite and guided by the
pre-visualisation but modified by experience of seeing each stage of the
image.

Large Format photography is one of the few photographic mediums (ie not
digital) which to some extent facilitates a similar process - you
pre-visualise the image, set up and examine on ground glass, then your
experience in the technical aspects of photography act as an additional
tool which modifies and transforms the image in your head even before
opening the shutter.  Effects of lens selection, less or more exposure,
perspective, depth of field, push or pull processing - all add to the image
making process...... The real freedom comes when the technical stuff is
second nature and the image becomes the primary concern....

All the best,
                 Clive   http://www.f32.net
                         Large Format Travel and Stock Photography