[LargeFormat] Newbie Here

Douglas Cooper largeformat@f32.net
Thu Feb 1 23:14:04 2001

I've been using a Pocket View.  Peter Gowland has made many different models
over the years -- mine has more movements than most, I think:  front swing,
rise and tilt; rear swing and tilt.  I also had him put focusing knobs on
both the front and rear standards.  It's incredibly versatile, if just about
impossible to zero...

If I need something fully aligned, I lean on my Super Graphic, which is
another great option if truly portable 4x5 is your goal.  Not as light as
the Gowland, but ergonomically better in many ways.  You should be able to
find either of these cameras, used, for under $500.  (Midwest Photo's a good
place to check for Super Graphics.)  The Linhofs are nicer, certainly, and
you get rear movements, but the Super Graphic can do most of what the Linhof
can do, and is in fact better for wide angle lenses.  Read Stephen Gandy's
advice at www.cameraquest.com -- he has a good essay comparing the Linhof to
the Super Graphic.

cheers,

Douglas Cooper
www.dysmedia.com

On 2/1/01 4:38 PM, Pam Niedermayer expressed the following: