[LargeFormat] Why Large Format?

Les Newcomer largeformat@f32.net
Fri Jan 26 22:44:12 2001

I got into LF when I was shooting 35mm in highschool, looked at my 8x10
print (Tri-x in HC-110) and told my teacher that they had better stuff
in the 19th century than we do today cause I've seen 100year old prints
that are sharper than what I can do to day.

He got a big grin on his face and said, "Son, it's time you learned
about Large Format..." He knew I was hooked

I will reluctantly aggree that,  accept for contact printing,  4x5 will
do evrything that 8x10 will do and do it faster and (at least for
keeping the dust off in the darkroom) easier to print.

I have 4x5 5x7 6x8 and 8x10. I've gone to 5x7 because it's just enough
bigger than 4x5 so I can contact print a nice intimate photo or blow it
up to 20 x24.

Someone once asked me why I just bought the 8x10 Deardorff when he can
make a grainless 20x24 with a4x5.

I told him that the Deardorff was big, heavy, wouldn't go just anywhere,
people will look at you in awe when you have it out, its expensive to
operate and a joy to run.... Everything a Duesenburg is, only $199,000 cheaper.

Les