[LargeFormat] Why Large Format?

Winddancing largeformat@f32.net
Fri Jan 26 01:14:01 2001

My eyes hurt for lack of sleep and I am trancing out; but consider the
imagery here,  not with a knife and fork, to get a sense of an answer:

The potential for class:  consider the difference among signs (lettering)
directing one to the "restroom" in different settings:  in the woods,  at
camp, at school, at a hospital, at a flop house, in a grand hotel, at a
"swanky" business office...LF has the potential for class.  Consider how
Typography (lettering)  can really be congruent and facilitate,  suggest,
invite, beckon, one toward  an  intended outcome.  Refinement, congruity
among the various variables, studied intention to manifest an outcome
blossom  in  the "practice" (like meditation, yoga, or Tai-chi) of LF.

Abbot John Daido Loori is also involved in visual communication, has taught
photography, and sells his "work" from the Zen "store" of his monastery's
web site.  I wonder what he would say to your philosophical pondering.  I
can think of lots of quips that have depth and value when you are coming
from them -but would probably seem abrupt to someone that hasn't slept with
them.

As few of us can just "be",  we instead propagandize-opion-ize.  Perhaps a
few can celebrate existence.  I wonder if the wanting of attention (Why
Large Format)  is just an antidote to the Denial of Death as we venture  out
to be heroic.  "Being" is not trying to squirm off the hook of life/death,
but to mount our private and catholic cross

These notions are as far as I have gone in trying to understand "Why Large
Format?"