[LargeFormat] film holders

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Mon Jan 22 14:06:01 2001

--============_-1231932030==_ma============

At 7:43 am +0200 22/1/01, Dave Southwood wrote:
>i have a few light leaks in some of my 4,5 film holders. they occur
>at the base of the holders where the fabric that allows the flap
>to flip has frayed. i thought id just apply another layer of tape
>but before i did it im applying for bright ideas.......what type of
>tape has suitable characteristics?
>also, would the tape effect the focal plane if it were too thick by
>pushing the film further from the lens when the taped holder is
>inserted?

Probably the best idea is to remove the old tape completely and use
either "duct" cloth tape or the tape used for binding books which is
as close to the original as you are probably going to find.

There is a site on the web selling some of this tape and the glue to
go with it but I have filed the bookmark so well that it is currently
lost.

Perhaps someone else has the reference and can post it here again.

There is a slight recess in most holders to allow for the thickness
of the tape so unless you manage to find a really thick replacement
then registration at the focal plane shouldn't be a problem.
--
All the best,

             Clive Warren   http://www.f32.net
                            Large Format travel and stock photography
--============_-1231932030==_ma============

in some of my 4,5 film holders. they occur at the base of the holders
where the fabric that allows the flap to&nbsp;flip has frayed. i
thought id just apply another layer of tape but before i did it im
applying for bright ideas.......what type of tape has suitable
characteristics?</font></blockquote>
effect the focal plane if it were too thick by pushing the film
further from the lens when the taped holder is
inserted?</font></blockquote>
use either &quot;duct&quot; cloth tape or the tape used for binding
books which is as close to the original as you are probably going to
find.</div>
glue to go with it but I have filed the bookmark so well that it is
currently lost.</div>
again.</div>
thickness of the tape so unless you manage to find a really thick
replacement then registration at the focal plane shouldn't be a
problem.</div>

All the best,<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
Clive Warren&nbsp;&nbsp; http://www.f32.net<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<span
>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<span
stock photography</div>