[LargeFormat] Re: LargeFormat lenses

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Mon Jan 15 06:00:02 2001

At 17:50 13/01/01 +0000, philip Lambert wrote:
>I am just testing some  LF lenses (65mm to 203mm) on my 6x9 Linhof using
>colour negative Fuji film. Two shots of a pale yellow and deep red orchid
>flower & leaves against a plain red curtain using daylight at F22 show
>distinct differences on which I should welcome advice .  The 100mm Linhof
>Symmar (number 8million odd and I guess about forty years old) produced a
>print that was lower in contrast and less saturated than the same shot taken
>two minutes later with a Xenar 150mm f5.6 1999 lens. Exposure looks fine.
>(Maybe the sunlight altered? )
>  Does this mean the 100mm Symmar is inherently poorer than the modern Xenar?

Maybe that particular Symmar is not a particularly good one, however
contrast is better on later lenses as coatings improved on element
surfaces.  There haven't been any huge advances in lens design which will
make big differences to the resulting photos.

I have high contrast photos resulting from the use of uncoated lenses which
are at least 50 years old! As long as the lens elements are clean ie no
haze, dust or excessive scratches, then you should get good results. It may
be the case that the 100mm Symmar wasn't really that good in the first
place, particularly if it covers 4x5.  Early wide angle lenses weren't
particularly hot, especially at the edges :-)

Also the Xenar 150mm is probably a bit of a sleeper - and it is only single
coated I believe.......

All the best,
                 Clive   http://www.f32.net
                         Large Format Travel and Stock Photography