[LargeFormat] Re: flash exposure

TigerShark largeformat@f32.net
Sat Dec 30 15:38:02 2000

I think this message is not pertaining to large format. Is it ?
Why does the moderator send this to the group?
Should we take this elsewhere?

Anyway:

I assume you are not using a (flash) light meter, just the built-in
electronics on the F90 (coincidentilly I love the Canon T-90).  Auto
settings.... hmmm .... I rarely use those.

If user wants to contact me, e-mail me in private:

sunnyd@ptdprolog.net

If moderator wants to get some discussion going on flash exposure, we can
get a long thread started here.  I am all smiles :)

TigerShark

-----Original Message-----
From: largeformat-admin@f32.net [mailto:largeformat-admin@f32.net]On
Behalf Of philip Lambert
Sent: Saturday, December 30, 2000 10:04 AM
To: largeformat@f32.net
Subject: [LargeFormat] Re: flash exposure

How does one achieve correct flash exposure?  I bought an old Canon flash at
a fair without a manual and ran off several exposures of Fuji colour
negative film of an Xmas arrangement of bottles of alcohol standing on brown
wood furniture against a white wall, at various apertures, with the camera
on a tripod at a fixed distance.  The only differences I noticed in the
prints were that the least bright objects, the furniture, improved in colour
as exposure increased.  The negatives became denser, but the light-coloured
objects looked much the same in all the prints.  I am inclined therefore to
give generous flash exposure for negative film but what would readers advise
for transparency film? Is a good flash meter the answer?
As a separate matter, my Nikon F90 and SB22 seem to automatically
underexpose slightly (using TTL flash metering) so I usually give plus half
a stop. Do I have a defective outfit or is a half-stop adjustment regarded
as insignificant? Or are the manufacturers' claimed film speeds only an
approximation?
Philip Lambert