[LargeFormat] A daylight tank for 4x5

Les Newcomer largeformat@f32.net
Thu Dec 21 08:32:04 2000

available 4x5 tanks that I'm aware of:

Jobo makes (made?) a reel that would fit in one of their tubes. They
also make an "expert drum for their rotoary processors

Hard to find is a Nikkor reel that will fit into a 4" tank (double 35mm)
They show up on ebay from time to time

HP (Not Hewlett Packard) makes a 6 sheet tank called a Combi, that is
invertable like all of the above. Will also work for plates.

Yankee (not the baseball team) makes a 12 sheet tank that is not
invertable, but works very well and are on ebay all the time. This is
not invertable, but you slosh it side to side like the one below.

FR  made a tank out of bakelite that shows up on ebay from time to time,
this one will do plates but has the basket built in, and sometimes
pieces of the light trap are missing on ebay.

I'll ignore the obvious Kodak hard rubber tank since these are not daylight

I've worked with Yankee, FR and HP. The Yankee and HP of these benefit
from having the developer in the tank first when you drop the basket in.
This cuts down on streaking and air bells.

 I don't know I've I'd put a tall thin tank of developer in a dark bag,
Murphy, of Murphy's law tends to giggle when I do such things, he thinks
I'm baiting him.

I suppose you could load the tank dry and then do a water soak as the
first bath, this might cut down on the streaking and bells.  Kodak
recommends it for their tmax film, I think.

Les