[LargeFormat] more on batteries

Lee Carmichael largeformat@f32.net
Thu Dec 14 15:27:01 2000

--=====================_63093086==_.ALT

Clive,
         I got this link from Steve Grimes today.  I was inquiring about a
part for my Copal #1 shutter and this link is where he gets the
parts.       http://www.criscam.com/

At 01:49 PM 12/14/00 +0000, you wrote:

> [...]
>>an older article, but still reachable through the index.  Try this:
>>  Go to www.acecam.com
>>  Click on "magazines"
>>  Click on "Archive" from the list on the left.
>>  Under product reviews, look for: "MR-9 Battery Adapter saves old cameras
>>from..."
>>That'll be it.
>>
>> >A quick recommendation - I bought a silver oxide battery to mercury
>> >converter a while ago.
>>
>>Ah -- this must be the MR-9 or equivalent.
>>
>> >replaces PN625, PX625, HD625, RM625, 4625, H-D and MR9 1.35 Volt
>> >batteries.
>>
>>Varta still makes the PX-625, according to this article:
>>
>>"Varta in Germany continues to manufacture mercury photo cells, according
>>to a recent visit to their web site. Some recent postings in newsgroups
>>indicate there are Canadian mail order sources for mercury batteries.
>>Mercury batteries are still manufactured in Asia and Europe and will
>>continue to be available there for the foreseeable future. (Availability is
>>subject to change at any time.)"
>>
>>If you have further trouble accessing that web site, let me know, and I'll
>>grab the whole text and forward it to you, Clive.
>>
>>All the best,
>>\don
>
>Hello Don,
>
>Thanks for the follow up and the kind offer.  The server must have been
>down when I tried the link before as it is now working perfectly :-)
>
>The text in the article is a great overview of the current situation on
>mercury oxide batteries, however does contain a few factual errors.
>
>Varta stopped selling mercury batteries a long while ago - they have a
>very "green" government right now. Also, the sale of such batteries is
>banned throughout Europe - except the UK :-)
>
>The only source that I know of is Asia for new mercury batteries - all
>Varta mercury batteries being sold now are around two years old from the
>last manufacturing run.  If kept in a fridge they should have a shelf life
>of at least five years and probably a lot more.  Freezing them is a really
>bad idea as this damages the electrolyte.
>
>The MR-9 is indeed the converter that I was referring to. This is a
>well-made device and does the job, however the Shottky diode inside which
>does the voltage conversion from the silver oxide battery 1.5v does not
>match 1.35v exactly.  Will have to look up the exact figures.  So, the
>bottom line is that the MR-9 is probably the best bet unless you have
>625px batteries in the fridge - I have both :-)
>
>You can do your own conversion using a Shottky diode if you are happy
>about opening up a meter and wielding the soldering iron to place the
>diode in the power supply lead to the circuit board in the meter.  You
>would also have to change the size of the battery compartment to suit the
>smaller silver oxide battery.
>
>All the best,
>                 Clive   http://www.f32.net
>                         Large Format Travel and Stock Photography

As usual,
Lee Carmichael

check out: http://www.f32.net/Services/Photographers/LeeCarmichael.html

--=====================_63093086==_.ALT

Clive,<br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>I got this
link from Steve Grimes today.&nbsp; I was inquiring about a part for my
Copal #1 shutter and this link is where he gets the
parts.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
At 01:49 PM 12/14/00 +0000, you wrote:<br>
wrote:<br>
&gt;The URL above did not work for me.<br>
I don't know what to suggest, Clive; I just clicked on the link as<br>
presented in your reply, and got to the appropriate page
immediately.&nbsp; It's<br>
an older article, but still reachable through the index.&nbsp; Try
this:<br>
&nbsp;Go to
&nbsp;Click on &quot;magazines&quot;<br>
&nbsp;Click on &quot;Archive&quot; from the list on the left.<br>
&nbsp;Under product reviews, look for: &quot;MR-9 Battery Adapter saves
old cameras<br>
from...&quot;<br>
That'll be it.<br>
&gt;A quick recommendation - I bought a silver oxide battery to
mercury<br>
&gt;converter a while ago.<br>
Ah -- this must be the MR-9 or equivalent.<br>
&gt;replaces PN625, PX625, HD625, RM625, 4625, H-D and MR9 1.35
Volt<br>
&gt;batteries.<br>
Varta still makes the PX-625, according to this article:<br>
&quot;Varta in Germany continues to manufacture mercury photo cells,
according<br>
to a recent visit to their web site. Some recent postings in
newsgroups<br>
indicate there are Canadian mail order sources for mercury
batteries.<br>
Mercury batteries are still manufactured in Asia and Europe and
will<br>
continue to be available there for the foreseeable future. (Availability
is<br>
subject to change at any time.)&quot;<br>
If you have further trouble accessing that web site, let me know, and
I'll<br>
grab the whole text and forward it to you, Clive.<br>
All the best,<br>
\don</blockquote><br>
Hello Don,<br>
Thanks for the follow up and the kind offer.&nbsp; The server must have
been down when I tried the link before as it is now working perfectly
:-)<br>
The text in the article is a great overview of the current situation on
mercury oxide batteries, however does contain a few factual errors.<br>
Varta stopped selling mercury batteries a long while ago - they have a
very &quot;green&quot; government right now. Also, the sale of such
batteries is banned throughout Europe - except the UK :-)<br>
The only source that I know of is Asia for new mercury batteries - all
Varta mercury batteries being sold now are around two years old from the
last manufacturing run.&nbsp; If kept in a fridge they should have a
shelf life of at least five years and probably a lot more.&nbsp; Freezing
them is a really bad idea as this damages the electrolyte.<br>
The MR-9 is indeed the converter that I was referring to. This is a
well-made device and does the job, however the Shottky diode inside which
does the voltage conversion from the silver oxide battery 1.5v does not
match 1.35v exactly.&nbsp; Will have to look up the exact figures.&nbsp;
So, the bottom line is that the MR-9 is probably the best bet unless you
have 625px batteries in the fridge - I have both :-)<br>
You can do your own conversion using a Shottky diode if you are happy
about opening up a meter and wielding the soldering iron to place the
diode in the power supply lead to the circuit board in the meter.&nbsp;
You would also have to change the size of the battery compartment to suit
the smaller silver oxide battery.<br>
All the best,<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
Clive&nbsp;&nbsp;
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
Large Format Travel and Stock Photography<br>