[Largeformat] 8x10 Packs - internal vs. external

Hornford, Dave largeformat@f32.net
Wed Dec 13 12:49:18 2000

Eric,

Can't help on which pack is good for a 8x10 but I can help on packs.

External frame packs can carry a large, awkward heavy load better than any
internal frame pack.
You are not bound by the manufacturers decisions about the shape and
character of your load.

However, almost all backpacking/expedition packs are internal frame - and
almost all serious design work is on internal frame packs. The extra design
work over the last few years has resulted in amazing load carrying ability,
and load stability. I switched last year from an old external frame to a new
internal frame and I'm a very happy person. - I went with an Alpine Lowe
Contour II or IV (can't recall) and an Osprey. It is much easier to carry
than the older one. There have been advances in external frame - but not to
the same level.

You mention rough terrain/running/jumping - if this is a core requirement I
would look closely at an internal frame. The internal frame - as a rule -
will hang-on better than an external frame. You will almost never see
someone ski-touring with an external frame pack - they just don't grab you
and hang-on like a good internal frame.

A primary issue is the size, shape and weight of the Toyo 8x10G package.
(package defined as the Toyo and  other stuff you need which may be in a
separate case) I'm looking at buying/building a soft case for my Calumet
rail camera to provide protection in my pack (right now I'm planning on
taking it on two 5-6 day trips next year) and it will need the out-of-pack
protection.

Most internal frame are top load - and the opening may not be convenient for
the Toyo package. Several manufacturers have back opening packs - as a rule
these are aimed at the short distance crowd since they are structurally less
sound and the long distance crowd is touchy about gear breakdowns a few days
from the nearest road. Also you can expect a lower level of 'features' and a
lower level of 'advanced fit'.

Off the top of my head manufacturers to look at include:
	- Alpine Lowe
		serious amateur crowd - wide range of sizes and reasonable
prices
	- Gregory
		serious crowd - wide range of products with load carrying
and durability - prices appropriate to LF owners
	- Osprey
		serious mobile crowd - IMHO outstanding load carrying -
smaller sized
	- REI
		no experience - based on marketing similar to Alpine Lowe -
not readily available in Canada
	- Arc'teryx
		amateur to serious amateur - wide range of sizes and more
reasonable prices

Backpacker magazine carries a gear issue that reviews packs and has decent
information on capacity (liters or cubic inches) and opening sizes.

regards Dave