[Jacob-list] Confusion over jacob/piebald sheep

Johann K johanndiedrich at msn.com
Wed Sep 30 14:10:11 EDT 2015

I read in an article that a couple from Canada are trying to "restore" jacob sheep to Israel.  I have always been mildly annoyed when people claim these sheep are the actual sheep from the story of Jacob in the bible.  A little digging around on the internet quickly reveals that they were historically known as piebald sheep and only had the name change to jacob sheep after someone compared them due to their spots.  They are very unlike the native sheep breeds in the middle east.  I feel that many people allow the biblical comparison to persist because it seems to be a harmless feel good story.  In reality it has inspired someone to try to export them into a part of the world for which they may not be well suited for no reason other than because they don't know the story is made up.  I feel that in allowing the false story to perpetuate we do a disservice to the true heritage of these sheep as European park sheep.
Now you know how I feel.  :)
Johann