[Jacob-list] Sheep Lice

Bill & Jeannette Joosse wjjoosse at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 14:34:24 EDT 2015

Approximately 2 yrs. ago, one of my ewes started rubbing her abdomen area
on the ground occasionally.  I looked at this area but really didn’t see
rash, etc. All the other 4 ewes seemed to be fine, until this past spring.
Now 4 of the 5 show signs of lice – rubbing against buildings, etc.  I
cannot see the lice but assume this is the cause.

Not sure how the ewes got lice, as my farm does not border another sheep
farm, only horses and dogs and deer going thru the pasture.  No one with
sheep has visited the farm, except the shearer on annual basis.  And I have
not visited another sheep farm.  I read that sheep lice only live on sheep
and not other mammals. Any ideas how they could have gotten lice?

I have unsuccessfully been using food grade diatomaceous earth and tree tea
oil.

I emailed OSU Small Animal Dept. and was referred to PNW Insect Management
Handbook.

The handbook recommends Permethrin.  However in reading the precautions, I
am very hesitant to use this product.  Plus I do not have a dip tank and
would use the pour-on method.

OSU did suggest Peppermint & Rosemary as a natural treatment.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you.

Jeannette