[Jacob-list] Second pregnancies

Sean Mallinson sean at marshmallofarm.com
Tue Jun 30 08:35:19 EDT 2015

Strange things can certainly happen... looks like it's
called superfoetation.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/local-news/ewe-miracles-lambs-born-three-2636726

http://www.sheepmagazine.com/26-2/vet_check/
Ewe Gives Birth Twice, Two Weeks Apart

*I just had a ewe lamb that gave birth to two small, healthy lambs. The
surprise is that she lambed two weeks ago with a single. How is this
possible?*

This does happen. Apparently the ewe is bred, conceives, and then for some
reason goes through another estrus cycle and re-breeds successfully. I
would imagine this happens often-the first egg dying and aborting. The
second breeding goes to full term.

In a very few cases the two differently-aged lambs are carried and are born
at different times, usually 10 to 17 days apart. When two lambs are born
from the same ewe at the same time with one large lamb and one very small
lamb, this is not superfoetinism. This condition is caused by stress in
early pregnancy and one lamb does not have enough placenta circulation so
does not develop and grow like its partner.

--
*Sean Mallinson*
*Marsh Mallo Farm*