[Jacob-list] Old Sheep

Jennifer Tucker gotothewhip at aol.com
Sun Mar 30 11:34:44 EDT 2014

My old girls have free run of the place. I keep free choice lamb feed out. What I feed has a high % fiber so it is a complete feed that replaces hay. It is what show lambs are fed- mine uses cotton seed hulls for fiber and they are soft and easy to chew

I also keep free choice leafy alfalfa out for them.

They pick at tender grass in my backyard

Sherack Eve is 15 this year and raising a lamb (whoops lamb!)

I See Spots Marge is 16 this year and is Eve's buddy. She is downright fat

I think having a pal and exercise is so important

Jennifer Tucker
Moose Mtn Ranch

Sent from my iPhone

> On Mar 30, 2014, at 8:58 AM, "Peg Bostwick" <peg at sweetgrass-jacobs.com> wrote:

> We’ve had a lot of elder ewes, and in my experience, they just get skinny, no matter what. That being said, I think that fresh green grass is the best thing for them – they seem to manage to get it, even without the front choppers. Our grain mix has soy meal in it, and they can readily handle that, although I’m not sure it makes too much difference. Mostly, not having to compete with a lot of other ewes at the feeder helps some – although even given free choice grain in a pen of “grannies” one year, my old girls were still skinny.

> You may be surprised how long your skinny girl hangs around... Peg

> Peg Bostwick

> peg at sweetgrass-jacobs.com

> 517-626-6981

Sent from my iPhone