[Jacob-list] Seizure-like activity in newborn lambs?

Gary Anderson gbanderson at ucdavis.edu
Sat Mar 30 14:56:57 EDT 2013

Our first lambs of the season were born 2 days ago, twins with a ewe and a
ram. The lambs were born at 144 days gestation, which is a few days short
for our flock; they do not appear to be unusually small. They were slow to
nurse and seemed to experience hypothermia within a relatively short
interval after birth. Other lambs born since in similar temperatures have
been unaffected. I removed the twins to a heated room where they appear to
be content living in a box. I milk the ewe and feed the lambs by bottle,
which they take but without vigor. Most disturbing, both lambs have
episodes during which they arch their necks, lie on their sides, and kick
their legs, episodes that usually last less than a minute. Sometimes after
such an episode the lambs appear to be limp. At times one of the lambs
seems to be in a stupor and is hard to arouse. Despite these unusual
symptoms, most of the time the lambs look quite normal, although perhaps a
bit listless. I have tried to return the lambs to their mom, who is happy
to have them back; she shows more interest in them than they in her. Within
a short period, the lambs appear to be in decline, and I return them to
their box in a heated room. Has anyone seen newborn lambs with similar
symptoms, especially the seizure-like episodes? Did they recover with age?
If the lambs are unlikely to survive or to thrive, it will be better for the
ewe and her udder for the lambs to disappear now instead of after being
milked several times a day to feed her babies until they succumb to whatever
affects them. I will appreciate learning from your experiences either
privately (gbanderson at ucdavis.edu) or via the List.

Gary Anderson

Hillside Jacobs

Sparta, MI