[Jacob-list] Fwd: Sheep nutrition

lgnewsome at comcast.net lgnewsome at comcast.net
Fri Jan 4 10:09:51 EST 2013

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: lgnewsome at comcast.net
To: "jacob-list-bounces" <jacob-list-bounces at jacobsheep.com>
Sent: Thursday, January 3, 2013 4:14:53 PM
Subject: Re: Sheep nutrition

I work at Gower's Feed Inc. in WV. The parent company, William Gower & Son in MD mills it's own line of grain-based (as opposed to pelleted) feeds, and I use the Gower 14% Sheep feed. The label reads: Crude Protein (Min) 14%, Crude Fat (Min) 3%, Crude Fiber (Max) 6%. Ingredients: Crimped Corn, Oats, Molasses, Dicalcium Phosphate, Processed Grain By-Products, Salt, Mineral Oil, Magnesium Oxide, Calcium Carbonate, Vitamin A Supplement, Ferrous Carbonate, Zinc Oxide, Manganous Oxide, Cobalt Carbonate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Molybdate, Ethyenediamine Dihydriodide, and Sodium Selenite. That's what I was calling "sheep grains". I have made up my own mix with whole corn, whole oats, flaxseed meal, and wheat bran, but found it was less time consuming and surprisingly less expensive for me to purchase the Gower mix. I prefer to use whole grains, instead of pellets, for rumen health, as I have read that pellets can cause rumen inflamation.