[Jacob-list] Udder and eye questions

b.d. alittlebatty at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 14:05:00 EST 2013

Hi there-
I am new to sheep so any wisdom/insight from this group is much appreciated!
We've got a 3 or 4 yr old ewe on our farm that came to us last year; we had
to dry up her milk and we did so without any problems.
Today, as I was massaging her (doesn't everyone massage their sheep on
their lunch break?!) I was rubbing her belly. She hunches up when I rub her
belly, but that's nothing new. As I was removing some of lanolin build up,
I found two "pockets" that had black and yellowish "scabs" over them. I
carefully pulled them out and saw pink skin but no blood or obvious wounds
underneath. Any thoughts on what this could be? She does not have sores on
her mouth, nose or ears.
The only thing of note is that she has had eye discharge for the past few
weeks. The discharge is not yellow or green, nor is her eye irritated. I
have felt confident that it is not pink eye.
Thanks for any thoughts on the matter,
Barry