[Jacob-list] sheep education in Ohio too

Hettick, Heather hettick.1 at osu.edu
Thu Feb 7 09:12:38 EST 2013

http://sheep.osu.edu/2013/01/14/2013-sheep-and-goat-web-programs/#more-543

In Ohio, they are having web ex programs at various locations across the state every Monday in February.

I attended the one on Vaccinations, which was this Monday, but I'm really looking forward to the next one on non surgical AI techniques this coming Monday. From what I've read about AI, it's pretty expensive to get all the equipment and not all that effective in sheep yet, but I think the more sheep breeders work together, it can be a useful tool for various purposes, including improving productivity but also for preserving rare breeds like the Jacob sheep. It can help for those who want a closed flock for health purposes, but want to introduce new genetics, etc or have mixed flocks and don't want to have lots of rams. I still have two registered Jacob ewes but I cross breed them because I don't have room/time for multiple rams, but would love to try AI-ing them with a Jacob ram if it wasn't all that cost prohibitive.

The NC programs sound like a wonderful opportunity for those who can attend too. I bought a good microscope and learned to do Fecal Egg Counts a while ago and did all my adult ewes at least twice last year (before and after lambing) and am starting this year to do it again. It's time consuming, but you can start to identify problem sheep or exceptional sheep from a parasite resistance standpoint. FECs can also help you see which wormers or more or less effective in your flock. My Jacob ewes and my Jacob/Tunis cross ewe are on the more resistant side, but there are individual differences in all breeds and it is definitely something you can use to help make decisions. I culled two Icelandic ewes last year based partly on their extreme high FECs, although they both had other issues.

Heather Hettick
Moonstruck Farm
Creston, OH
www.moonstruckfarm.wordpress.com<http://www.moonstruckfarm.wordpress.com>