[Jacob-list] Floppy lamb

Cathy Brown cathybro at uga.edu
Tue Apr 23 10:28:13 EDT 2013

Was this a 4 horn lamb? If so, these clinical signs could be due to occipital condylar dysplasia (OCD). This causes basically a traumatic injury to the spinal cord at the base of the skull. Selenium deficiency is also a possibility, although that more often affects lambs at 2-4 wks of age (but can occur earlier). Selenium/vit E deficiency results in muscle degeneration, and since the damage is already there once you see clinical signs, recovery after supplementation (to prevent continued muscle damage) would take a while (weeks not days).