[Jacob-list] tail docking

Avillion Farm avillionfarm at avillionfarm.com
Tue Apr 16 02:23:11 EDT 2013

We've done both - tail docking for a few years, followed by not, then last year I docked ewe lambs, but
not rams so we could easily tell boys from girls out in the field. Basically, there is no difference in
health or other outcomes. Our buyers don't seem to care all that much; FFA kids that bought lambs
for show/project - did not have a problem with it, nor did they dock them later. Meat buyers seem to
not care at all. Buyer preferences are probably very regional and variable. FYI, this year we didn't bother
to tail dock at all, but instead are ear tagging boys with orange and girls with green - works a treat to tell
them apart from a distance.

Best, Elaina