[Jacob-list] Breeders who forgo tail docking: your experiences?

lgnewsome at comcast.net lgnewsome at comcast.net
Mon Apr 15 14:30:49 EDT 2013

I haven't docked tails so far.  I've had no health or sanitation issues, they seem to be pretty good at holding their tails out of the way.  The only draw back I've had is that it's hard to see whats going on under there, especially when you're looking for signs of impending lambs, like udder development, etc.  I try to shear my ewes about a month before lambing, and that takes care of the problem.  This year the weather was so cold I just crutched them and included shearing off the tail wool.  I breed to lamb in late April, so I haven't had any yet, but it is easy for me to see who is getting ready.  A potential problem with tail docking, is the Jacob Standard of tail length.  I have brought in a docked ewe and ram in the past, and some offspring have had tails that were well below their hocks .  I'm sure that if the ewe and ram had not been docked, it would have been obvious that their tails were too long.  We have a nice fleeced wether from the pair whose tail is so long it almost touches the ground, but his tail wool is always very clean, nearly pristine!  So it all depends on your preference.  I also find it amusing that the tail length is included in the Standard, since docking is permitted, so how can the length  be judged?