[Jacob-list] Seizure-like activity in newborn lambs

Gary Anderson gbanderson at ucdavis.edu
Wed Apr 3 08:41:03 EDT 2013

Thank you for your ideas and suggestions for addressing a problem of
seizure-like activity and other symptoms in a set of newborn twins. I
thought I sent an update several days ago but just realized I did not send
the update to the entire list. We have not had problems with selenium
deficiency, but based on a suggestion from a Lister I gave each lamb an
injection of Bo-Se from my stash. I did the same for B-complex vitamins,
based on another suggestion from a Lister. I was with the ewe during her
last hour of labor and during delivery, both of which were uneventful for an
adult Jacob ewe; thus, I did not surmise the problem was birth-related. I
sensed two mornings after having been treated with Bo-Se and B-complex
vitamins (but not during middle-of-the-night feedings!) the lambs took more
readily to a bottle, I heard one lamb bleat softly for the first time since
the day they were born, and I judged them to be a bit more feisty (though
still quite low on the feistiness scale). My cautious opinion was that they
were responding to treatment or to something else. I gave a second Bo-Se
injection and continued with daily B-complex vitamins. Two days ago I let
the lambs nurse on their mom (versus milking her and bottle-feeding the
babies). Yesterday I returned the lambs to Mom, I hope for good. They
still act a bit funky, but without doubt they are much improved. The ewe
took back her babies, despite that they were away from her for most of the
past 6 days. (I think the winning entry was Betty Berlenbach, who suggested
polio due to thiamine deficiency. Thanks, Betty.) Thanks again to everyone
who responded.

Gary Anderson

Hillside Jacobs

Sparta, MI