[Jacob-list] LGD

Linda patchworkfibers at windstream.net
Sun Sep 30 18:44:41 EDT 2012

Has anyone seen a difference between male and female LGD's? I prefer
female dogs in general, but don't know specifics on LGD's.
Our male LGD does not stay in the fence, but I'm happy with that as he
patrols both pastures at the other place. He's not a people friendly dog
so is safe from thieves. He patrols the perimeter of the property and
does not run. Before I owned him, he was with another male (neutered)on
the same property. He did travel (leaving the property) when he had a
buddy to run with. Without the other dog, he is focused on his flock. If
he's not in the pasture, he is in sight.
Even though Sam was born in the field with goats (he was never handled
by people until he was two and that was only to be caught and
transported) and had been with goats all his life (he was seven) when I
brought my sheep over, he required an introduction period with the
sheep. He did not accept them as "his" right away. Once he did, he has
been a excellent guardian.
The problem with sheep eating dog food wasn't a problem until Sam fell
in love with a particular lamb. I had to move her to the house before
she made herself sick! He protects his food from other sheep.
Sam is old and we are looking for an older experienced female. This
pasture is 1/2 mile from the house by road (1/4 mile through the woods).
Since I am not there most of the time, I don't feel comfortable
overseeing the introduction of a puppy. I would be interested in hearing
how others have introduced two adult dogs.
We raised standard donkeys for years and the foals were born with the
sheep. We sold them when the drought was so bad. They were wonderful and
would stomp a dog. After we started getting rain again, we went in
search of another donkey. If you don't see a donkey actually with sheep
or goats, proceed with caution. Daisy killed a lamb. Our current donkey,
Ginger, is not as bonded with sheep as our farm born girls, but has been
an excellent alarm system and gets along with the sheep. We had coyotes
howling outside our fence line this spring along with Ginger braying. We
didn't lose any lambs, but I do secure them at night. She's a large
mini, so no idea if she is capable of actually fighting something off.
But she gives us an alert to hit the barn lights and grab a gun. I tend
to think she is a good deterrent.
Our one experience with a llama convinces me that llamas are delightful
animals. Mine would not quit chasing sheep, but she was an older animal
and not very adaptable.
One thing that I find very frightening in this discussion is that
coyotes (or coy-dogs)have evolved to attacking adult sheep and hunting
in packs. In this area, it has been rare to have coyotes take adults,
but I'm hearing of it happening.
Long winded post!
Linda

On 9/30/2012 10:01 AM, Karen Askounis wrote:

--
Patchwork Farm Jacob Sheep <http://www.patchworkfibers.com>