[Jacob-list] LGD

Karen Askounis kaskounis at threefatesjacobs.com
Sun Sep 30 10:01:38 EDT 2012

Thanks Linda & Lorri - helpful info. The wandering has been one of my
concerns which is why I haven't used LGD's before. I do have a donkey, he
was in the field that we had the losses in. Not sure if he kept losses to 1
each time or did nothing. Seems he has done a good job for us up to now - 6
years with no losses. But I have only 1 donkey. I have llamas (adopted from
neighbor in financial distress). There are two together - not sure if they
are functioning as predator control or not. They 'manage' a different
pasture. My worries with a wandering dog is we have neighbors with
frequently free dogs (they won't use the invisible fence present on property
when they bought it!) - they don't come over so far except to run the fence
with our pet dogs. We have free ranging turkeys, peacocks and cats that the
neighbors dogs haven't bothered so far either. So lots of 'things' for a LGD
to leave alone. The donkey has shown aggressive behavior toward dogs
approaching his fence line so lots of concern with a LGD getting in with
him. Also neighbor has 4 children so can't be aggressive toward people (in
general). Lots of challenges.

I would guess I would need to find an LGD raised with other farm critters
and already socialized to them. Still undecided. Your replies will be
helpful in my decision making.

Thanks!

Karen Askounis

Three Fates Farm