[Jacob-list] exporting sheep to Canada

Peg Bostwick peg at sweetgrass-jacobs.com
Wed Sep 5 11:23:04 EDT 2012

That was EASY? :)

Peg Bostwick
peg at sweetgrass-jacobs.com
517-626-6981

-----Original Message-----
From: jacob-list-bounces at jacobsheep.com
[mailto:jacob-list-bounces at jacobsheep.com] On Behalf Of Williams Family
Sent: Wednesday, September 05, 2012 11:18 AM
To: 'Lasell J. Bartlett'; Jacob-list at jacobsheep.com
Subject: Re: [Jacob-list] exporting sheep to Canada

We exported a ram to Canada in July and were surprised how easy it was. Ewes
must come from a certified scrapie-free flock, but all rams can go as long
as they have the official identification tag and a USA tattoo (flags,
anchors, hearts with arrows are optional).

On the US side, a vet needs to come and look at the animal and fill out some
paperwork. That goes to the USDA vet, who reviews the paperwork and puts the
official seal on it. This may vary, depending on what state you are in. Both
(of course) collect their fees. On the Canada side, the recipient gets an
import permit and (I think) a vet must sign off on something to do with the
location - I can find out from my Canadian customer. Once all the paperwork
is in order on both sides, the animal goes to the border crossing, where an
official vet reviews the paperwork, looks at the ID tags and collects more
money. I believe there are tax implications and it works better to have the
Canadian recipient come to the US and do the transfer here. Then everybody
is on their way.

Canadian requirements are here:
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/animals/terrestrial-animals/imports/policies/liv
e-animals/2007-5/eng/1321032703935/1321032839418

I hope this helps. Let me know if you want more specifics from my Canadian
counterpart.

- Mark Williams
Swallow Lane Farm