[Jacob-list] need advice on breeding groups

Carl Fosbrink fourhornfarm at frontier.com
Sun Nov 4 08:42:25 EST 2012

Horns are very important to me! They are one of the things that set the Jacob apart from other breeds. A ram may pass inspection at six months of age, but his horns can change a lot until he is two years old. If his horns have to be trimmed to keep them out of his face or they are no longer symmetrical he should not be used for breeding because he would not pass inspection then and you don't want to pass on those bad horn genes. Using a young ram whose horns have not finished growing is not a good idea either because you don't know what his horns will look like when his horns are more mature. Horns do most of their growing until two years of age. After that they grow very slowly. They probably do 80% of their growing until two years old and you can tell how they are going to be by then.