[Jacob-list] docking/banding

Linda patchworkfibers at windstream.net
Wed May 30 19:33:52 EDT 2012

I have three with undocked tails. Two are from a year when I decided not
to dock and the other is a bottle lamb that was given to me. Her dam had
not been vaccinated, so I just decided not to dock her. If the market
didn't call for docked tails, I'm not sure I'd bother. I like the
natural Jacob tail length, but buyers want docked tails. All three have
just above hock length tails and all can easily move their tails high
enough to keep them clean.
Scours in any sheep - docked tail or not - is messy. I've never had fly
strike in my sheep, but I'd think flies would be just as attracted to
two inches of a docked dirty tail as to an undocked dirty tail. As
Elaina says, there is more than just length involved.
The market does call for docked tails and that's why I dock.
Linda

--
Patchwork Farm Jacob Sheep <http://www.patchworkfibers.com>