[Jacob-list] When things go wrong... they can go very, very wrong......

joy jspidle1 at yahoo.com
Wed May 2 07:09:06 EDT 2012

I am a newbie at lambing so I want to use this as a learning experience.

On Friday I returned home from work to a pair of newborn lambs (a ram & a
ewe). The ewe was still a bit wet but cleaned off. Their mom seemed very
attentive licking them and talking to them. I didn't want to interfere so I
watched. The boy was up and about trying to nurse... the ewe still hadn't
gotten to her feet ...... 2 hours had passed so I attempted to at least get
her to nurse a little, mom was having none of it so I decided to milk her
out enough to bottle feed the ewe lamb to at least get some colostrums in
her. I gave her about 4 ozs and continued to watch the mom's interactions
with the lambs. It became apparent she was not allowing the ram lamb to
nurse despite his efforts.... so I milked her a little more and made sure he
had some milk. At the 5 hr mark the ewe lamb still did not have the strength
to get up, the weather was miserable (rain & chilly) The ewe lamb was cold
so I decide to milk mom again and take the little girl in and put her under
a heat lamp. She was eating well but still couldn't stand. A 03:00 I checked
on her again, she still was not able to stand.... the boy was curled up with
his mom doing ok.
On Saturday when I checked the mom was still not allowing the boy to nurse,
he would just about get latched on and then she would move..... so
frustrating. So I milked her and fed them both several times throughout the
day I was hoping by leaving the boy with her she would get the idea.... she
did not object to being milked just the babies nursing. I keep a close eye
on them throughout the day the girl still unable to stand.... she was
getting stronger at least could make it to her knees just not to stand, at
the 26 hr mark she finally made it to her feet. The boy was still with his
mom but she still would not allow his to nurse. I fed him and kept an eye on
him. The night was chilly and rainy again. I checked him around 22:00 and he
was chilled so I brought him in under the lamp too. At 03:00 when I checked
him he had passed.
On Sunday the mom seemed a bit depressed / not her normal self. She refused
to eat and just stared at the wall. Her temp was a bit elevated but nothing
real bad (104) but I decided to give her a does o penicillin just to be
safe. At around 18:00 I noticed the mom lying down in the stall and she
appeared to be in labor again. She pushed very hard a few time expelling
allot of poop and then started thrashing and let out a cry and then .....she
stopped breathing her heart was beating and I checked her pupil for reflex
.... (she jumped and scared the crap out of me) she still was not
breathing.... I checked her pupil again and they were fixed and dilated with
no response ......... then her heart stopped.......... I'm in total
disbelief at this point...... What the ____________?????????
So, now the question I need answered from you all that have been doing this
for a while is....... What could I / should I have done differently???????
Help me understand please......................

Sorry the post was so long...
Thanks for any help you can give me.

joy