[Jacob-list] Horn growth and patterns?

Carl Fosbrink fourhornfarm at frontier.com
Wed Jul 11 15:45:37 EDT 2012

Joy,

The Standard says symmetrical horns and horns not growing toward the face. I breed for symmetrical horns which the dictionary defines as even and pleasing to the eye. I also breed for many other things like deer-like conformation and nice spotting pattern as well as hardiness and good mothering, longevity, nice fleece, etc.
It is hard to know how the horns will end up because they can change direction of growth up to two years of age. Usually you have a good idea by one year of age, but I have seen horns change even after one and up to two. For this reason I only use rams at least two years old for breeding as I want to use rams with good horns and not perpetuate bad horns.
Just a few years after I got into Jacobs Mary Spahr, who bred Jacobs for many years and was an inspector, told me to use only rams at least two years old for breeding so I knew what type of horns I was passing on to future generations. I have found she was right. I purchased some ewes from Mary and this year two of those 13 yr. old ewes both had nice sets of twins and they are doing well.

Carl