[Jacob-list] Skull preparartion

Jacobflock at aol.com Jacobflock at aol.com
Thu Jan 12 10:08:01 EST 2012

Dear Listers - The following email from a University that received several
Jacob skulls that had been processed by Peter Spellmeyer years ago: .

'Hi Fred-
Dr. Ray Wilhite, the gross anatomy instructor who was thrilled to have
the 4-horned Jacob sheep skulls, asked how it was processed. He was
impressed by the cleanness and detail of the skull and would like to try
it with a local specimen. I thought you mentioned a beetle colony
followed by treatment with a foul-smelling chemical, but I couldn't
remember the chemical. Any refreshers on skull prep would be
appreciated. I recall that the man who processed the current skull is no
longer with us but thought you might point us in the right direction.
Many thanks,'

Peter related several episodes of skull preparation over the years, steel
drums of chemicals, months of being in one solvent or another and months
drying out , etc. Those who worked with Peter and saw his meticulous work
realize what a treasure he was and what a scientific loss his passing has
been. QUESTION: Does anyone know the exact method, materials and steps he
used to produce the skulls, perhaps they may be found in letters, reports and
emails he sent?

Regards - Fred Horak