[Jacob-list] FW: Scrapie program changes and exporting

Williams Family williams at jacobsheep.com
Sat Dec 15 11:24:45 EST 2012

We have recently exported several rams to Canada and have had interest in
ewes, too. I asked my USDA contact how the proposed changes to the scrapie
program might impact future exports and got some not-so-good news.
Currently, ewes for export to Canada must come from scrapie certified
flocks, but rams can come from any flock as long as they have proper
identification and we jump through all the hoops. That situation is going to
change soon, in conjunction with changes to the USDA scrapie program. If you
haven't already heard about those changes, see the attached info. In a
nutshell, USDA is implementing a more stringent program for exporters, and
replacing the Monitored/Certified program with a less stringent one. In
conjunction, I am told that Canada will soon require rams to have the same
scrapie certification status as ewes.

This is bad news for those of us who have connections with Canadian
breeders. coming just as we are seeing an increased interest in
strengthening the Jacob gene pool in Canada. For most of us, this will
effectively close the border. The upshot - if you are contemplating a
cross-border sale, do it soon, before the programs change. If any of you are
currently scrapie program certified, one of my Canadian customers is still
looking for ewes, so please contact me off list.

- Mark Williams
Swallow Lane Farm