[Jacob-list] bad dog training

Gloria Steiger olgasteig at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 18:47:00 EST 2012

With the vet, you are going to need to muzzle before you get there.
That is a defensive bite and dogs that bite the vet tend to keep doing
it... If you put the muzzle on, maybe he will accept it. ?

For the other situations, he is making guarding 'mistakes'. he is
trying to do what he thinks his job is. Basically what that means
is-- you have to teach him his job. I think you need an expert to
help you. I teach/ taught my maremma how to do his job by doing
perimeter walks among the sheep a few times a day, teaching him how to
approach strangers, etc.

Try contacting this breeder:
http://windancefarms.com/

She has written a booklet on training your livestock guardian but
specializes in maremmas, whcih are very similar to the great
pyrennees. If she does not think she can help you, maybe she will
refer you to someone else. I paid for a phone consult and bought her
book and my training after that went really smoothly.

~gloria

On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 6:35 PM, Mark Essen <messen at socket.net> wrote:

> In the vet's office, as she was trying to put a muzzle on, the dog tried to

> bite the vet. The vet moved very quickly, but otherwise, blood would have

> been drawn.

> In the nipping cases, here at my farm, the dog will put his mouth around a

> hand or ankle, enough to feel teeth, but not clamp down. It is very

> unsettling and I am concerned because it seems so random. It has only

> happened in my presence, as far as I know. It does not happen with very

> many people, but we may be just walking, with no animals around.

> If I have missed anything, ask away.

> Thank you.

> Mark

> On 12/5/2012 5:12 PM, Gloria Steiger wrote:

>> It depends on what you mean by nipping and biting. In what

>> circumstances is he putting his teeth on people?

>> On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 6:01 PM, Mark Essen <messen at socket.net> wrote:

>>> I am also having a bit of trouble with a new pyr. I received a two year

>>> old

>>> intact male because he nipped at people. I have had him a couple of

>>> months

>>> and have had him fixed and he is very gentle and playful. But, tried to

>>> bite the vet and he has nipped at four other people. Does anybody have

>>> any

>>> suggestions for getting him to chill?

>>> Thank you.

>>> Mark