[Jacob-list] FW: Foot problem

Richard and Susan stcroft at ptd.net
Mon Aug 27 20:54:33 EDT 2012

Dear Shepherds:

I am in need of some advice - I have a sheep with a problem affecting both
front feet. I found the picture below on the internet - this is not my
sheep - but the area affected I marked with a blue circle (are pictures
allowed on this list??). The hoof is fine, there is no foul odor, no
drainage, and the sheep does not have a fever. However, the area above the
hoof is swollen, lumpy in appearance, and even looks a bit like hamburger -
raw, macerated, and very painful. What is this? I thoroughly cleansed the
area with water, then cleansed it with peroxide, then thoroughly sprayed it
with Blue Kote and then sprayed with fly spray. Even though there was no
fever, I also gave a sub Q injection of Liquimycin LA 200 because that was
what I had on hand. The animal is otherwise fine - still grazing, although
sometimes on knees, and appears healthy otherwise.

What is this...and how should I treat it?

Sue Martin

Stonecroft