[Jacob-list] SAFF fleece show

Peg Bostwick peg at sweetgrass-jacobs.com
Tue Aug 7 16:50:58 EDT 2012

You can probably find detailed suggestions somewhere on line. But..
essentially you want to take your best fleece(s) - that is, ones that are
strong (not tender), uniform, soft, etc. and hopefully fairly clean. Then
skirt them VERY carefully - I usually pull off a little more than I
normally would for a sale fleece. Get rid of britch wool, any short side
wool, any tags, and any neck wool that is scruffy or too contaminated.
Then remove as much vege, chaff, other contaminants as you can stand. (Easy
if you have coated sheep; I don't and still have shown successfully, but
you have to spend some time picking stuff out. I can spend 30 - 60 minutes
skirting a show fleece.) Also look carefully for second cuts - even
little tiny bits of stuff show up like a sore thumb in black and white Jacob
fleeces.

When it looks as good as you can get it, laid out cut side down, fold a few
inches in on each side and on the neck end. Then roll it from britch end to
neck end and put it carefully in a clean, clear plastic bag. You'll want to
weigh it and have that weight with you when you enter.

Then enjoy the judge's comments. I have learned a lot from them.

Peg

Peg Bostwick

peg at sweetgrass-jacobs.com

517-626-6981