[Jacob-list] Ewe rejecting second twin

Cheryl Gordon chgordon96 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 11:45:49 EDT 2012

I had a couple of ewes do that last year. I think that they were so focused on the first lamb and literally dropped the second lamb so easily that they didn't even realize they had birthed the second one. So, the mental switch didn't flip and they couldn't count to two. (I know Jacobs are smarter, but they are still sheep...) Mine also cleaned the second lamb, but evidently thought they were still licking the first one. I spent two days or so, physically holding the ewe every couple hours so that the rejected lamb could nurse. Once her milk started to get thru its system and the lamb started to smell like her the ewe came around in both cases. It did take a bunch of time, but just for those two days. Everyone is different, but for me it was worth it to not have to bottle feed.

Ways to help the "smell equation" included rubbing the other lamb's poo on the rejected lambs bottom. For the one ewe I also used some Vicks on the ewes nose and on both lambs, so that she couldn't tell them apart. I did watch them carefully to be sure that the ewes didn't hurt the lambs, in my case they just ignored them and weren't butting the lambs or anything.

Both ewes twinned again this year and accepted both lambs with no problems this time around. My lambs also usually nurse within 10-15 minutes of birth. Second lamb coming doesn't really seem to be part of the nursing equation for my ewes, I think the first lamb usually does nurse before the second one is born.

Good luck,
Cheryl Gordon