[Jacob-list] Weird tail - have you seen this?

Williams Family williams at jacobsheep.com
Fri Apr 6 22:30:32 EDT 2012

We've seen a lot of tails in our day, but this year we have an odd one and
were wondering if anybody else has ever seen something similar. A ewe lamb
seems otherwise normal, but her tail appears to be under-developed. We dock
with bands on day 2 and typically dock them long. Within a few days, we
started noticing a wet behind. It appears that she is not able to raise the
tail to urinate. The remainder of the tail that would normally fall off has
hung there and gotten longer and longer. We finally removed it today and
found that the bones had no connective tissue holding them together - they
were small and just wrapped in skin. Anybody seen anything like this?

- Mark and Cathie Williams
Swallow Lane Farm
http://www.jacobsheep.com