[Jacob-list] New Booklet "Guide to Selection of Jacob BreedingStock

BIDEWEE at aol.com BIDEWEE at aol.com
Mon Sep 5 18:24:24 EDT 2011

A point of clarification...

"JACOB SHEEP - A Guide to the Selection of Breeding Stock" WAS presented
to all members present at the 2011 JSBA annual membership meeting in NJ last
year. The entire group went through the document page by page and photo
by photo. In addition, comments submitted by Carl Fosbrink, who was unable
to attend, were distributed and discussed. Recommendations were made and
discussed, and when the group agreed, revisions were made.

I submit that if every individual JSBA member had been given the
opportunity to add their input prior to publication, we would never have had a
publication. As it is, the membership, as represented by those in attendance at
the 2010 annual membership meeting, were definitely given the opportunity
to weigh in on the entire document and all comments and suggestions were
addressed at that meeting. The resulting document with changes was then
approved by the membership.

The Guide is just that, a guide. It in no way changes the breed standard
nor does it change any breeder's ability to select for his/her preferences
as long as they fall within the breed standard. In my opinion this new
guide will be a tremendous help to new and prospective breeders. Betty B.
said it well... "It is perfectly okay to say to someone, 'Here is the
guidebook which you might find helpful. I need to add, however, that I really
prefer....for .....reasons. You need to decide for yourself."

Karen Lobb
bide a wee farm
Newberg, OR

In a message dated 9/5/2011 2:46:47 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,