[Jacob-list] Fleece Shows

Heather Hettick hettick.1 at osu.edu
Mon Oct 31 08:34:34 EDT 2011

Linda asked: How many people show fleeces in fleece shows?

I show fleeces at our local fiber show - Great Lake Fiber show and sale in
Wooster, OH over Memorial Day weekend.

They divide classes by fine, medium and coarse and double coated, also each
class is divided by white or colored. They limit the entries to two per
class and you have the option to sell or not. This works well for me
because I can sell fleeces without having a booth. I usually try to show as
many fleeces as I can.

The Jacob fleeces I have shown usually end up in the medium class with lots
of Border Leichester -type fleeces. I've had placements but never won that
class. Obviously, I can only enter the Jacob fleeces in the colored class.
I have one ewe with a coarser and long fleece and her fleece won the coarse
class a couple years ago. It was one of the first to sell too!

I do better with my Icelandic and cross fleeces since we don't usually have
a big dual coated entry. They have been having the same lady judge a few
years in a row and I've got a pretty good idea what she likes and it's not
double coated fleece. She writes useful comments on the fleece tags,
whether they place or not, which helps me as a exhibitor as well as gives
buyers additional info, which I really like. I was happy to see a young
breeder from Ashland, OH showing a really clean and pretty Jacob fleece this
year. I'm not sure if either of us placed, but I'm pretty sure hers sold.

Our local fair has a wool show also, but they divide it by merino
percentages, which make no sense to me with the sheep I have. They also
have a natural colored class but are comparing everything to merino so we
don't usually do well and it isn't worth my time.

Heather Hettick

Moonstruck Farm

Creston, OH

www.moonstruckfarm.wordpress.com