[Jacob-list] Ewe with Mastitis

Neal Grose nlgrose at yadtel.net
Sun May 15 03:43:44 EDT 2011

Is the mastitis in one side or is it in both? Is it a coliform infection?

Generally, only one side is affected. If so, even if she loses that side, she should be able to feed a lamb from the other next year.

It sounds like she may have a coliform mastitis, which can affect the animal systemically. If so, it will not respond to most intramammary infusions. Coliform doesn’t respond to penicillin, which is used for staph and strep infections. That is why the vet also gave you tetracycline and suggested supportive therapy. Continue to milk her out several times a day. The damage is being done by the toxins produced by the bacteria.

Neal Grose