[Jacob-list] bad mothering, not breeding first time

Heather Hettick hettick.1 at osu.edu
Fri May 13 09:11:37 EDT 2011

Jennifer Tucker wrote:

"I generally give them a second chance to figure it out. If they fail the
second time, they are in the freezer.......I won't pass my problems off on
someone else....I have the same theory if a ewe does not breed"

I was wondering how often we actually get bad mothers in Jacobs? I can't
say I've had any obviously or consistent bad new mothers, once they get
started. Or even ewes who don't breed by the second year - although I prefer
them to breed as lambs. I guess maybe because my flock is smaller, that I
don't see as much variation.

I agree some ewes reject the really weak, small or not quite right lambs and
I don't really hold that against them, but I've never had a young Jacob ewe
I've needed to cull for bad mothering. I have culled older ewes for
recurring mastitis, and one who decided she only wanted to raise one lamb
at a time - later in life, and of course she had triplets that year too. In
both cases, I gave them a second chance and really shouldn't have.

Jennifer, do you cull non breeders after the first year or give them a
second chance too? We have a few yearlings this year who didn't breed, but
I used a young ram so I can't really blame the ewes, but it's just
disappointing.

Without looking at my records, I would guess we've had good luck with the
few ewes who missed breeding their first year over time, but my Tunis/Jacob
cross was one of those and she tends towards having singles much more often
than the purebred Jacobs. Her 75% Jacob yearling daughter also missed
breeding this year, but she's extremely large. Do others think that ewes who
don't breed their first year might be less prolific even later? Or pass that
on to their progeny?

Heather Hettick
Creston, OH
Moonstruck Farm