[Jacob-list] Question about Hay Type and Amount

Linda patchworkfibers at windstream.net
Thu May 12 06:43:33 EDT 2011

I agree with Harry. Find a good local source for hay. We buy from two
farmers. Russell Bermuda from one and mixed grass hay (orchard
grass/timothy/fescue) from the other. Hay and soil is tested, so we know
what we are getting. I do supplement with alfalfa cubes at times.
You can't really estimate how many bales - you have to estimate how many
tons, as bales vary so much in weight. A Black Welsh Mountain breeder
who feeds no grain once said to estimate 4 pounds of hay per day for the
days you will be feeding hay. Of course, if you are feeding grain, you
won't need as much hay.

Linda

Patchwork Farm Jacob Sheep <http://www.patchworkfibers.com>