[Jacob-list] Question about Hay Type and Amount

Marjorie Schafer MHSchafer at oglecom.com
Wed May 11 18:45:50 EDT 2011

Hello,

I am a new poster to this list, though I've been reading it for many months.

We are absolute newbie farmers and are getting our first Jacobs this summer,
and I was wondering if you all could give me ideas about the type of hay you
feed your Jacobs (e.g., grass hay? alfalfa? grass/alfalfa mix? first,
second, or third cutting, etc. ?)

Also--another totally newbie question here--how do you estimate how much hay
per sheep for the winter? We have a long, cold winter (uppper Midwest), and
will be having four lambs, a bred yearling, and a bred mature ewe (so six
sheep total, including two bred ewes). We were thinking maybe 200 bales of
hay for the whole winter. Does that sound way off (either too little or too
much)?

Thank you for your insights. I love this list and have learned so much about
Jacobs here--

Margie.