[Jacob-list] dead lambs-deformed lambs

SovreignFarms at aol.com SovreignFarms at aol.com
Sun Mar 27 17:11:54 EDT 2011

Hello Everyone,
I have been quietly following these notes to the list regarding weak
,deformed ,as well as aborted lambs. Seems to be an odd year where this is
turning up more & more. The only thing that comes to mind here is the
Pipestone Veterinary Sheep Newsletter (February/2011 issue) where it is being
discussed that Cache Valley Virus (CCV). It is becoming more widespread across
the U.S; in fact now reported in 22 states. Another thing they mention in
this newsletter is that if you have deformed lambs, mummified lambs, aborted
lambs and weak lambs, you should send them to your state diagnostic lab
along with the placenta if possible and a complete history for potential
diagnosis. Those flocks that are infected report up to 18.5% affected lambs.
Given the numbers of sheep changing homes every year, I would think this
would be easily moved about. Anyway, just food for thought. I have included
the link to the newsletter. I have subscribed to this newsletter for years.
They are a veterinary clinic who specializes in sheep. Its free and has
lots of information every month. Maybe this will help. Its being reported
as a virus, and as is typical of a virus once everyone is immune, it will
perhaps have run its course. I know that does not help much, we all hate to
lose lambs for any reason.

_http://www.pipevet.com/userfiles/file/sheep%20newsletter%20February%202011.
pdf_
(http://www.pipevet.com/userfiles/file/sheep%20newsletter%20February%202011.pdf)

Sharon Lehrke
Sovreign Farms
FL

In a message dated 3/27/2011 3:11:40 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,