[Jacob-list] Predator Control Question

Linda patchworkfibers at windstream.net
Wed Jun 22 19:34:19 EDT 2011

I bring new lambs into a very secure barn lot (heavily fenced) every
night when I don't have a guardian animal or when I have to be gone
during the day. I don't bring in adults. As others have said, the
_biggest danger in most areas comes from domestic dogs_ - and they come
and kill any time of the day. We're in a heavily forested area with a
lot of national forest closeby. We see bears and foxes often, but have
never had a problem. Coyotes are in our area and I saw one once on our
property, but we don't hear them, so I think they tend to stay more in
the forest. I think that there is enough game in the forest to keep them
fed. We also have alot of coon hunters around here and I think that
might tend to keep the coyotes off somewhere else. Found a den of foxes
two weeks ago about 30 feet from the sheep fence.

I've had a llama, 6 donkeys, and one LGD since I've had sheep. I ended
up with the only llama in world that would not give up chasing sheep.
She was quite impressive with those front feet - if only she had been
chasing a dog! In talking to llama rescue, I was told that some people
use dogs to protect their llamas. The llama didn't work for me, but she
was a delightful animal and llamas work well for others. Donkeys are my
favorite because we both just enjoy donkeys and the standards are
formidable guards. Our last guard donkeys were born in our flock and
were great. We sold them when the drought was so bad 4 years ago and
just got a new donkey in May. She's never been with sheep and I'm not
yet certain if she is going to be a good guard. I 'inherited' a Great
Pyrenees with our leased pasture, which is about 1/2 mile away. I
wouldn't want a dog here at the house because I have a very protective
Great Dane and the barking would drive me nuts. Sam was born in a
pasture with goats and is not a people friendly dog. He has just
recently allowed himself to be touched by a person. He is a wonderful
guardian. There was another LGD there that I didn't want. He was 3 years
old and still 'playing' with his owner's goat kids to the point of
drawing blood. Since I have sheep and an internet presence, I often have
people contact me because they have a Pyrenees they bought as a house
dog and wonder if I might want him/her.

The biggest thing to look for in a guardian animal, whatever species you
decide on, is the background of the animal. There are wonderful
donkey/llama/dog guardians and some not so great.

Congratulations on your new sheep!

Linda.

.

--