[Jacob-list] Predator control

Catherine Partridge aztreaz2 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 18:47:14 EDT 2011

>I am an about-to-be new Jacob owner, and I just wondered if most of you

>leave your Jacobs out in the pasture at night regularly, or bring them into

>the barnyard or barn at night? My neighbor with sheep has never had a loss

>to predators, but he brings his sheep in every night.

>On a related note--how many of you use guard llamas with your Jacob sheep?

>Have you been happy with them, or do you think a dog would be preferable?

>Thanks for your thoughts,

>Margie

>in Illinois

==============
We always bring the sheep in at night and when we aren't here at the farm.
Their paddocks at the barn and other shelters are surrounded by heavy duty
cattle panel fencing. Each paddock for grazing is surrounded by field
fence. So we have fencing within fencing for added security. We have a
llama that patrols around the outside of the inner paddocks. We don't keep
the llama with the sheep unless they are all out grazing for the day. I
have had problems with the llama getting along with my first ram so I kept
them apart except for grazing during the day. We have never had predator
problems with the sheep, goats, llama, and alpaca and it has been nearly 15
years.

We don't have guard dogs because of the barking and some tend to roam off
the property. The llama has worked for us. We have four dogs, but they are
house pets. I suppose if we had a LGD that dog would end up a house pet
too.

Cathy
Moscow, Idaho