[Jacob-list] Predator Control Question

Cheryl Terrano paintedrockfarm at aol.com
Tue Jun 21 09:36:14 EDT 2011

Congratulations on your forthcoming Jacob sheep adventure!

I would definitely assess your individual farm/flock needs as what works in one area might not work in another. We have been fortunate NOT to have incurred losses due to predators. We have woven wire perimeter fencing and maintain a 'shoot on sight' policy for intruders. There are coyotes in the area, along with black bear but we experience the most problems with domestic and/or feral dogs. Our neighbors are aware of our shoot on sight policy should there dog manage to enter the sheep fields and chase our flock. I have zero tolerance for dogs in my pastures mainly because there is no such thing as a dog wanting to 'play' with the sheep.

When we have considered a flock guardian, I feel a donkey would best suit our own needs but that is just me. I know many flocks who successfully utilize llama's or dogs as flock guardians. And I am sure you will receive lots of good information from those breeders to assist with your decision. Good luck!

And welcome to the world of Jacob sheep...its a great ride!

Cheryl in WV
http://www.paintedrockfarm.com
http://paintedrockfarm.blogspot.com
Visit the ETSY store: http://www.etsy.com/shop/paintedrockfarm

God longs to bring us to the place where we ache so much with His heart that to do nothing is simply no longer an option. (MATT REDMAN, The Unquenchable Worshipper)

We will live as strangers and pilgrims on this earth, with sacrifice, commitment, tears and fasting, and touch the lost world with our lifestyle and commitment. (KP YOHANNAN, Founder, GOSPEL FOR ASIA)

WHEN EVERYTHING THAT CAN BE SHAKEN IS SHAKEN, THE ANCHOR THAT HOLDS IS THE WISDOM OF THE CROSS. (Jason Upton, Key of David Ministries, from the CD 1200 ft below sea level).

If you want to see God's power at work, you must get out of the church and into the world. Watch the extravagant lengths which God will go to reveal Himself to people who don't know Him. Then you will learn how truly awesome our God is. (Author Unknown)