[Jacob-list] scrapie

Linda patchworkfibers at windstream.net
Mon Jun 20 19:13:41 EDT 2011

It's been a law for years that sheep crossing state lines have to have
USDA tags. I'm thinking since 2000, but I might be wrong on the date.
You have to have a USDA tag to get the required health certificate to
cross state lines. I'm not sure about NC, but in Georgia, sheep leaving
your premises except to move directly to slaughter or wethers, require
USDA tags even if moving intrastate. That's what they used to call the
mandatory scrapie id program. I think it has a different name now, but
it's still mandatory, although not really enforced much that I can see.
The voluntary scrapie eradication program includes a yearly check by the
state vet and you have to meet some rather simple requirements. You have
to sign up for that.
The tags and applicators are free in Georgia (and other states, I suppose).

Linda .

On 6/18/2011 2:33 PM, Katherine Wisor wrote:

> Each of my sheep have a NC Tag in their ear. Is that part of the

> program? I was shocked Dr Bob didn't know about it back then . I had

> the paper work that Neal sent me & I showed that to him, so I'm sure

> he does now . Remember that was a few years ago... I never showed my

> sheep . Later >K

> On Jun 18, 2011, at 9:56 AM, hobbyknobfarm wrote:

>> Seems odd that a vet wouldn't know about the Scrapie eradication

>> program. But this is federal and not state they are just trying to be

>> sure they have enough representation of scrapie free flocks in each

>> state to say we (as a country) are scrapie free. Apparently NC's

>> numbers are too low to officially say that quite yet so they need to

>> work on the numbers. I know I am not explaining that correctly. We

>> have had to have scrapie tags for years (at least since I have had

>> sheep, 9 years) to go anywhere. Since we show some of our long wools

>> we have to have tags on them.

>> Elizabeth

>>> LInda,

>>> The USDA vet just visited me and it sounds like in the near

>>> future it really will not matter as they are close to saying we

>>> are scrapie free. Apparently NC had a lot of little flocks that

>>> they don't seem to be able to find so she thinks they are no

>>> longer around and NC was low in the percentage of checked flocks.

>>> Elizabeth Strub

>>> www.hobbyknobfarm.com <http://www.hobbyknobfarm.com>

>>> hobbyknobfarm.blogspot.com

--