[Jacob-list] Bo-Se - Neal?

Linda patchworkfibers at windstream.net
Sun Jun 19 17:18:34 EDT 2011

Flooded the metabolic sites in the plants? or in the sheep when they ate
the plants? I've used ferrous sulfate lightly in the paddocks to kill
moss and have given iron injections to treat anemia on occasion. Haven't
seen any weak lambs in a few years, but wonder if I'm risking a selenium
deficiency with either practice?

Linda

On 6/18/2011 6:57 AM, Neal Grose wrote:

> There can certainly be variations in the way sheep utilize trace

> minerals. I remember the Johnsons saying that Soay had an enormous

> need for iodine. We used to routinely treat dry cows for selenium to

> help prevent retained placentas, but no longer do so, and seldom have

> a problem. My guess id that if you feed some variety of forages,

> individual trace mineral problems will be reduced.

> I don’t know if selenium uptake by plants responds to changes in soil

> pH, or the presence of things like high iron or aluminum content. (One

> local farmer had copper deficiency that was caused by extreme iron in

> her soils – it flooded all the metabolic sites that should have been

> used for copper.) There are some soils that are just so selenium

> deficient that there will be a problem with the forages.

> Neal

>>> deficiency. I've twice had lambs that could not stand at birth - I

>>> did not witness either birth. The first guy (seven years ago) was a

>>> guy that I loved on paper before he was born. His birth fleece was

>>> darn nice. I took him to the vet for testing and he was not selenium

>>> deficient. The vet felt that he had suffered oxygen deprivation