[Jacob-list] scrapie

Katherine Wisor creeksendfarm at mac.com
Sat Jun 18 11:56:38 EDT 2011

I was one of the small flocks that moved out of NC. My vet (about 3-4
yrs ago) said he never heard of a scrapie program in NC. I'm sure he
has now. > ALL my animals and my sheep / goats were checked when I
moved and deemed well / infection free , when I moved to Reno. The
state vet here never mention having to be deemed scrapie free. Many
of my friends with sheep sold out due to cost of hay and feed. > My
sister just arranged to buy hay. It averages $17 a square bale but
is sold by the ton. It will weigh in between 100 to 150 lbs each
though. Turkey crumbles is approx $19 for 50 lbs. > I'm interested
in that law effecting Barbados. They are great sheep, good even
tempered . I wonder what that law will accomplish ..... I had a
canadian goose the was land bound . AC told me there was a $10,000
FINE to possess one. Now we are over run with them . I wonder if laws
are more based on control rather than a logical well thought out
plan. Thanks for letting me vent> Katherine
www.creeksendfarm.com

Katherine Wisor RN / Farmer
12700 Red Rock Road Reno Nevada , 89508 704-488-5000